Tortilla soup is a great staple to Latin American cooking. This is both a hearty and spicy soup that can warm anyone up on a cool day. Though the chicken and avocado provide chunky goodness, it’s the tortillas that give it a slight thickness and a unique flavor.
Yield: 10 portions
Estimated Time of Cooking: Roughly 15-20 minutes
2 quarts – Chicken stock
1 ounce – Garlic, minced
4 – Corn tortillas, toasted and crushed
2 tablespoons – Cilantro, chopped
9 ounces – Onion, pureed
9 ounces – Tomato puree
1 tablespoon – Cumin, ground
2 teaspoons – Chili powder
2 – Bay leaves
3 – Tortillas, cut into chunky strips
7 ounces – Chicken meat, grilled, allumette
3½ ounces – Avocado, diced
1¾ ounces – Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat a small amount of the chicken stock and smother the garlic in it.
- Add the crushed tortillas, cilantro, and onion and tomato purees; bring to a simmer.
- Add the remaining chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, and bay leaves. Simmer until the soup has a full flavor.
- Strain through a medium strainer.
- Garnish each portion of soup with cheese, tortilla strips, chicken, and avocado.